Last year, at ACG we discarded thousands and thousands of single-use plastic bottles and cups (see above).
Plastic lasts ‘forever’. Virtually all the plastic ever produced still exists in the environment in some form. It is ironic that more than 40% of plastic is used just once, then tossed.
Based on our commitment to enhance our sustainability efforts as a community and in order to establish a sustainability culture on campus, this academic year, the Office of Public Affairs and the Center of Excellence for Sustainability are launching the #ACGgoesplasticfree campaign.
Joining our forces to the global movement, we aim at raising awareness on the harmful consequences of single-use plastic pollution and guide you in making a successful shift towards eliminating single-use plastics from our campus.
To make the transition on campus more fun, we have introduced the following during Phase #1?of the campaign:
- The ACG-branded reusable water bottle that comes in red or blue color, which you can find at the Office of Public Affairs (room 209) and the Center of Excellence for Sustainability (room 621). The cost is 8€ per bottle; a donation which supports various organizations ACG chooses every semester. Since the bottles launch in July 2018, your donations supported the Pan-Hellenic Association of Paraplegics, the Aghia Paraskevi Soup Kitchen, and the Lyreio Children’s Insitution – Orthodox Village.
- The ACG Technical Services have already installed two top notch, ACG hydration stations, one at Pierce and one at Deree where you can refill your bottle with quality water! More hydration stations will be gradually installed on all campuses.
- One of the first actions of the campaign was to institute a College-wide policy to ban the plastic cup at the ACG offices. Offices can no longer place orders for plastic cups. Instead, we ask that you use reusable glasses and cups for you and your guests or order the biodegradable cups that are now available.
- The campaign was the motivating factor for the launch of the ACG Sustainability Leaders The ACG Sustainability Leaders?group is a, newly founded, team of student volunteers who participate in diverse activities and events aimed at motivating, inspiring and raising awareness towards a culture of Sustainability both on and off the ACG campus.
- Signs have been placed above the ACG hydration stations to highlight ACG’s plastic footprint and encourage our community to reduce the use of single-use plastics.
During Phase #2, in Spring Semester 2019, we will be introducing the following:
- Signs will be placed at Deipnosofistirion, Starbucks, and Venetis at both Pierce and Deree to encourage the ACG community to start bringing their own reusable items (cups, bottles, food containers, cutlery) when ordering!
- A collaboration between ACG and the upcycling NGO ‘Team of the World’ was recently launched in order to give a ‘second life’ to the College’s old plastic banners. These banners will be transformed into calendars, notebooks, bags, and wallets instead of simply being thrown away or recycled.